Monday, January 16, 2012

South Dakota is a Tourist Extravaganza!!! (Part Two)


HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Sorry for the long wait . . . here's highlights from our afternoon in South Dakota!

But first, Lola would like to give a shout out to the Apple Store in Boston.  She heard she has fans there and wanted to say thank you so much for your support!  <3

A couple of new friends we met at Wall Drug in Wall, South Dakota . . . 
Lola REALLY liked her ; )

 
 
**WHO DOESN'T LOVE A JACKALOPE!!!**
It should be noted that the Jackalope statue was the #1 reason that Lola and I could not resist Wall Drug. Once we arrived it was apparent that we made the right decision.  Also, after 100 miles of AWESOME billboards I was certain that driving past was not an option--We needed to get some free water!
(Notice the cup in my hand?)



I really loved the piano-playing Gorilla, even though it stole my quarter and DID NOT play the piano.
Lola thought he was pretty cool too.

Before I began the road trip, as I have mentioned before, I had a mental checklist of things that I wanted to take Lola's picture with.  I found the dinosaurs and Paul Bunyon, so I was pretty excited that there was
 at least a picture of a "teepee" to take her picture in!  If only I could have figured out
a way to get her face in the infant spot . . .

Peek-A-Boo!

Lola often likes to pretend that she is a herding dog when there are cats around,
so this seemed like a natural scenario for her.  I like that the rope
 almost looks like it is attached to her

Do you ever get that feeling that you're being watched?


It took Lola a while to pay any attention to the stuffed bison, but once she caught the smell she was very intrigued.  She really liked sniffing his beard, but I just couldn't catch a picture of it. : (
To me, it looks like the Bison is royalty and Lola is kissing his foot.
"Oh please your Highness, I beg your mercy!"

Woo Hoo!  We made it to Mount Rushmore!!!  What a hike!
Just kidding, believe it or not this is a fake, lol.
But it gave us motivation to be on our way to the real thing . . .

Along the way to Mount Rushmore we hit our two-thirds mark!!!

 

And saw some beautiful views of the scenery.  It was nice to get into the mountains for a change of pace; those straight, flat roads posed no challenge for a woman driving a 16-foot truck.  Where's the excitment in that?  My life hadn't flashed before my eyes since the Minnesota Monsoon!  But finally we hit the steep hills and sharp turns, I thought for sure our brakes would give out . . .


Just look at that sunshine!  (and all of the dead bugs!)
Note: Moving trucks do not seem to come with much window fluid.  We ran out on both trips!
If you plan on using one for more than 2 days, we recommend adding window fluid to your packing list!

Almost there . . .   Yay!



We made it!!!  For real this time!!!



 
So, I hate to disappoint anyone, but this is pretty much the best picture we were able to get of the Presidents.
As it turns out, dogs are not allowed in the park!  For some reason, South Dakota and Wyoming seem to think that outdoor parks/landmarks are NO place for dogs.  RUDE!  I was able to take some beautiful pictures of Lola though.  We got there just before sunset, so the lighting was on our side at least . . .

 
A nice, patriotic shot.


 

Just because dogs aren't allowed on the "developed" parts of the park doesn't mean I didn't push my luck!

 
Besides, when you have a model who is this well behaved,
it's almost a crime NOT to take a few pictures!


For these next few shots, I lifted Lola up onto a wall along the way to the parking lot. 
Yes, I was definitely a little nervous, but again, with a model like Lola . . .


The wall was next to a path with a downward slope, so it was cool to be able to take advantage of
the underneath shot that I rarely get to take of her.

A better view of the wall.  I picked her up and stood on the lower ledge to lift her up.  The real sight was getting her down, she actually put her front paws over my sholder so I could lift her off!



I love these shots!
SO
worth
it!





Up on a Pedestal



Looking over the Presidental Landmark


While she was on the pedestal, a grouchy old man (usually my favorite type of person),
came up to me and said in a crotchety voice,
 "That'll be a $200 (or so) fine if the park ranger catches her up here!"
I'm sure he was just trying to be helpful, but honestly, was she doing any harm?
Again, totally worth the risk! (And no fine, I might add . . .)


Even though we did not get to go into the park, Mount Rushmore was still worth our time. 
I absolutely love the pictures we took,
and I guess viewing the Mountain from far away is better than not at all. 
Mount Rushmore is a beautiful place, full of wonderful smells, 
and Lola impressed some new people, aside from that grouchy old man . . .

(Sorry to my nieces and nephews for the lack of  Mount Rushmore gifts though!)

 
Doesn't she look regal when looking out over the land?


A stunning view!

Lola and I had a fantastic time in South Dakota and I never imagined that we would be able
to see so many exceptional things in one amazing day.

From Mount Rushmore, we still had 2 hours to go before arriving at my Cousin's house near Moorcroft, WY.  We arrived to a house full of expectant reletives, just after 9 pm ct.  At this point in our Journey, We had traveled 2,185 miles in 5 days and I was starting to miss being around people I knew.  Needless to say, I was happy for a little break and some time to enjoy family.  Lola was in dog heaven with miles and miles of mountainous land to explore and her very own pack of dogs to run with.  It was just what we needed!



Our next blog entry will take us out of Wyoming and through Montana.
Thanks so much for following us!

~ Crystal & Lola